JOHN OLASH- 25 PLUS YEARS EXPERIENCE
KNOWS THE SYSTEM
Trial Lawyer with over 100 jury trials
Knows how to get a good deal/plea bargain
I will not be outworked. When I meet a client I ask him or her what outcome he or she expects. We discuss the probability of achieving the desired outcome and the possible approaches. Since 1988 as a defense lawyer I have represented 1000′s of people in criminal cases. I have 25 years of courtroom experience and a history of winning at trial and through settlement. I handle all types of criminal defense law cases including murder, conspiracy, reckless endangerment, gun charges, criminal mischief, vandalism, assault with a deadly weapon, domestic abuse, sex crimes, rape, sexual assault, date rape, child molestation, child sexual abuse, firearms charges, child pornography, solicitation, possession of methamphetamine, possession of crack cocaine, wanton endangerment, theft,, misdemeanors, felonies, drug possession, possession with intent to sell, and drug trafficking, juvenile offenses, assault and battery, burglary, robbery, property damage, embezzlement, fraud, identity theft, bad checks, DUI and many others. If you have been charged with a crime — call my cell phone now.
In criminal defense cases, my clients have benefited from dismissals and acquittals for charges including DUI, murder, theft, child abuse, distribution of child pornography, gun charges, drug offenses and many others. I have handled over 100 jury trials. In law school I clerked for legendary attorney Frank Haddad. After law school I worked as a defense lawyer in the Louisville Public Defender’s Office. At the Public Defender’s office I handled a caseload three times the caseload recommended by the American Bar Association. I conducted countless hearings. I am the only defense lawyer in Kentucky to successfully try two circuit court jury trials at the same time. Only 6 of the 100 plus jury trials I handled resulted in an appeal. Two of those six losses were reversed by the Kentucky Supreme Court or Kentucky Court of Appeals.
Whether you are facing serious criminal charges, have a DUI or have been injured by the negligence of others, the selection of a criminal defense lawyer is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. I realize that your outcome depends on my dedication. I handle every case personally. Even though my practice emphasizes serious matters, every legal issue will receive careful consideration. Whatever your situation is, call me. If I cannot help you, I will refer you to a lawyer who can.
Get Seasoned Criminal Defense for Your Case
How The Criminal Court Systems Works- The Basics
If you watch courtroom dramas or CSI on television, you may think you have an accurate understanding of how the criminal court system works. However, real courtroom cases are very different. It’s more akin to a government-run assembly line.
- The criminal court system starts with an arrest. You will be searched for anything illegal or dangerous. The police search for weapons, drugs, and associated paraphernalia. You will be transported to jail, where you will be fingerprinted and photographed.
- The police are likely to ask for permission to search your car and home. If they have a search warrant, they do not need your permission. There is no penalty for refusing to permit a search. Only a judge can make the final determination if a search is legal. There is no reason to help the police. Remember, your refusal to consent to a search cannot be used against you.
- The police investigate and gather evidence. You cannot talk your way out of being arrested or investigated. You should be quiet and let your lawyer do the talking.
- Within a short period of time (72 hours is common) after your arrest, a judge will do several things:
- Provide you written copy of the criminal complaint against you. • Explain the crime you are accused of committing. • Provide you with time to hire an attorney or appoint you an attorney, if you cannot afford one. • Explain plea options to you.
- Assuming you enter a plea of not guilty, you may be released, released on bond (if you can pay) or held without bond. A pre-trial or a trial date will be set.
- Until your trial, the police and the prosecutor will investigate and prepare for the trial. Your lawyer will do the same for you. Cooperate fully with your lawyer and avoid talking to anyone about your case. Remember that the police may question your friends and your family.
- A plea bargain is frequently reached before the trial. Just because there is a trial date does not mean there will be a trial. It is possible the case will be dropped, depending on what information is discovered during the investigation process.
- The order of a jury trial is:
- Jury Selection • Opening Statements • Prosecution Case • Defense Case • Closing Argument • Jury instructions (if a jury trial) • Deliberations and verdict.
- Outcome: Depending on the verdict, you can be found guilty, not guilty, or a mistrial can be declared. In the case of a mistrial, a new trial date will be set. If the jury returns a guilty verdict, the judge will later impose a sentence
The criminal court system differs from the portrayal shown on TV. Make yourself aware of the basics. Your attorney is trained in the details. The trial process has specific procedures and rules that must be followed. While some people attempt to represent themselves in court, the results are often disastrous. Hire Criminal Defense Lawyers who can really help!
Murder & Manslaugter Charges
Racketeering (RICO Allegations)
Gun & Weapons Charges
White Collar Crime
Other Sex Crimes
Assault and Battery
Theft Under $300 & Over $300
DUI & Reckless Driving
Federal Money Laundering
Possession of Stolen Property
Why Should You Work with Our Law Firm?
Available Around the Clock
Over 25 Years of Trial Experience
Experience in State & Federal Courts
Arrested? Under Investigation?
Turn to a Criminal Defense Law Firm You Can Trust
Real Results for Real People
Tell Us About Your Case
We Offer a Free & Completely Confidential Consult
You’ve likely seen a movie or television program with a police officer speaking the infamous line, “You have the right to remain silent…….” What is the purpose of the warning? Does it matter? Your Miranda rights are among the most important rights provided to all...
A preliminary hearing and probable cause hearing is the same thing. The formal name is a preliminary hearing, the nickname is the probable cause hearing. Once you are charged with a felony you have a right to have a preliminary hearing within ten (10) days after your...
THE COMMONWEALTH PICKED IT UP,KENTUCKY IS A COMMONWEALTH STATE ,COMMONWEALTH STATES AND FIREARM CRIMES
Firearm offenses and handgun crimes cause arrests and lead to indictments. The lawyers at Louisville Firearms and criminal defense attorney are experienced in bond reductions, help in setting bond ,posting bond and getting handgun released and firearms released...
First ,once the police arrive at your home on a domestic violence run you can count on being arrested if your wife (or girlfriend ) called 911 AND she has visible injuries. If the situation at home gets heated --- such as property damage , threats , introduction of...
The Grand Jury is composed of regular citizens who are at least 18 years old, able to understand and speak the English langauge, have no felony convictions and have not been on a jury in the previous twelve (12) months. Twelve grand jurors serve on a case. The grand...
Police body camera videos afford the police wide discretion on what to record and what not to record. The body cameras offer police the authority and means to narrate their subjective and incriminating viewpoints on film as the events occurs and later the prosecutor...
Negligence per se is codified under KRS 446.070. It provides that a person injured by the violation of any statute may recover from the offender such damages as he sustained by reason of the violation, although a penalty or forfeiture is imposed for such violation....
Hollywood movies and television police shows often depict an arrested person in jail demanding to make his one phone call. A police officer informs the suspect “You have the right to one phone call”. This scene has been played over and over on television from Ironside...
Strike Force Attorney for the USCCA and Firearms Legal Protection Association Can I legally own a gun? Can I legally carry a concealed firearm? Kentucky does not require citizens to obtain a gun permit for either ownership or possession. KY law does not require that...
The Louisville Metro Police have significantly reduced routine law enforcement operations regarding minor crime. This is occurring at the same time I have noticed an increased police presence throughout Jefferson County since Mayor Fisher declared the citywide...